Monday, August 7, 2023

I'm going to cook the grass!

This week has definitely been a week.
On Monday we had a lazy day. We simply stayed around the apartment working on craft projects. Since it was the last week of the transfer, I decided to make Sister Maynard a crocheted cat (since you never know if one of you is going to be transferred). I did not want her to know that I was making a cat, so it took a lot of stealth to hide that fact. I did so by making a bunny out of the same colors. That was definitely my accomplishment for the week. On Monday night we had dinner with the Buttiglieris. They have a purebred Great Dane that I absolutely adore. I never want my own dog, but I definitely enjoy playing with other people's dogs.

On Tuesday we had a rather slow day. We went to visit some people and then did service for an older lady in our area. She had me dusting all of her high shelves. They were all above my head. I bumped a picture frame while doing so it started sliding off the shelf with glass objects in front of it. I caught it with one hand and caught the lamp with my other hand, but sadly the glass top of the lamp fell and I did not have a third hand to catch it. It shattered on the floor. 😟 Thankfully it was Jerry Ann's house and she just started laughing. She thought it was super funny that I was frantically holding glass in place. When we were getting ready to leave her house, she asked her son if he was going to make dinner. He said yes and then said "I am going to cut the grass." I heard, "I am going to cook the grass," and I was super confused. Tuesday night we called a lot of random people who had contact with missionaries in the past and asked them if they wanted to learn more. One answered and said he did not know and would have to come to church first to find out. He actually came!

On Wednesday I replanned the day way too many times. We were supposed to do service for an older lady, but she canceled on us. We ended up going street contacting at that time instead. It was a super cool reminder that God works in the details. There was almost no one out and about so we started walking toward one of the nearby neighborhoods. We were walking up the street, and the door to one of our prior referrals (that we had lost contact with) was open. We were able to talk to him and he was still interested in learning more. We set up a lesson with him the following day! After that we visited some people and went door knocking. Then we went back to the apartment and did some Facebook work before having a mission wide call to announce transfer news. Both Sister Maynard and I are staying in Corydon. Not only are we staying, but so is our entire district.

Thursday was a crazy busy day. We did our morning studies and then immediately had a lesson with our friend Luke. We read part of the Book of Mormon with him. Super good news is that his work schedule should be changing in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so he can come to church! Right after his lesson, we had a zone call/testimony meeting to finish the transfer. After the call we ate lunch and then went to play Uno with one of our elderly members. After Uno we read some scriptures with her and then went straight to a lesson with our friends Lisa and Carter. With Lisa and Carter we decided to read part of the Book of Mormon. They both love the Book of Mormon, but love their church and have no desire to leave. After their lesson with were supposed to have a lesson with our friend Darrell, but he canceled on us. 😞 Instead we went street contacting for 30 minutes. After street contacting we had a lesson with an inactive member and Sister Brunette. That lesson went really well, but it made us late to our dinner appointment. We had dinner with the Swarens. I love them. They are a super sweet elderly couple. After dinner, we ended up having a long conversation about music with them. After that we went home and updated before doing some social media and calling it a night. It was definitely a really long day.

Friday was transfer day. We did not go because we are both staying, but my Great-grandmother died. (Sister Gundersen finished her mission and went home!) For as busy as Thursday was, Friday was the exact opposite. It was so slow. We did weekly planning because there was no room for it on Thursday. We were supposed to have multiple lessons but they all canceled on us. I decided to completely change where we were going because we had no reason to be in that part of our area without the lessons. We went to the southern part of our area that does not get visited often. It was definitely where we were supposed to be. We were able to have a super spiritual conversation with a man we met previously while door knocking. He promised us he would be at church on Sunday. Although he did not make it to Church, it was a super cool reminder that God puts us where he needs us when he needs us there. After that visit we went to visit other people. The road we were supposed to take was closed so we decided to take the back road. The road was completely flooded (literally just turned into a creek), so we decided that was God telling us not to go there. We went back to the apartment instead and did social media. I found another Facebook miracle. I was able to share the Book of Mormon with another man who lives in our area and is interested in learning more! I was also able to send a referral to other missionaries so they could drop off a Book of Mormon to a lady who was not in our area. I am so thankful for all the many resources that God has given us to help spread his love and gospel to people!

On Saturday we visited some people and went door knocking. The Stake I am serving in was having a Relief Society temple trip. We got permission to go with them. On the way to the temple I was holding my breath through a tunnel for fun. Sister Brunette was driving and said, "Sorry, I cannot speed. There are cars in front of me." We thought that was super funny. We did Baptisms and Confirmations because all the other ordinances were full. I was doing temple names, but one of the people I got baptized for shared both my middle and last name, so that was cool. While I was there I got to see Sister Matthews from the Newburgh 2nd ward! She was telling me all about the happenings in Newburgh and it made me so happy. She also further explained to me why she thinks I am stealthy, so that was funny. Apparently it has to do with the fact that I deeply contemplate things, but people do not realize how deeply I am thinking until I choose to share. Kind of funny, but I guess it make sense. 😅 After our temple trip, we went to a Mexican restaurant with Sister Brunette and her mother. While we were there, Sister Brunette was telling us how to say different things in Spanish. Both Sister Maynard and I were definitely butchering it, but it was fun anyway. After that we drove back to the apartment, did some social media, and called it a night.

On Sunday we went to church…big surprise. We had two friends come to church, but neither of them stayed long enough for us to catch them and talk to them after church. One of the members in the ward had just gotten back from serving a mission in Brazil. After church the ward had a potluck to welcome him home. The potluck was super fun. I made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for it. After the potluck we stayed to help clean up. I vacuumed the floor (while also chasing a two year old with the vacuum). The highlight of my day Sunday was Ezra (the two year old) sitting on a chair laughing because I could not run him over with the vacuum. After cleaning up we went back to the apartment to study before going street contacting and door knocking. While we were street contacting we walked past the same people twice. The second time the little girl goes, "Look, those are the girls that read us a story!" I thought that was super cute. I love the innocence that young children have so much. After door knocking we did some social media work and called it a night.

This week I have been so thankful for all the small miracles that come as we act in faith and follow promptings. God has a plan and he will work through us as we continue in diligence.

Pictures:
  • Temple pictures
  • Where did the road go?
  • Sister's comp study (forgot to post last week)
  • Sister Maynard's drawing of the Zone
  • Cat and bunny I crocheted






No comments:

Post a Comment